1) Big shout out to our friends at Dublab and their fanzine “Extra Terrestrial” that turns up on the power of radio. Contributors include Madeline Brand and Peanut Butter Wolf plus a piece on radio pioneer Art Laboe. Purchase the zine and your well spent dollars go to keeping the innovative internet / FM radio station alive and infiltrating the airwaves.
2) Ever seen live footage of 70s rock concerts? Shaggy hair, beards, and the crowd swaying in one motion? The lead singer at the edge of the stage, foot on monitor, leaning in… and connecting with the crowd?
Well that’s called a real good time at a rock show- and that’s what we’re bringing you on Thursday as Diarrhea Planet, Easy and The Primals take The Echo stage. We’re not saying this is rehash of 70s rock at all. Each of these bands have the power and swagger and guitars in their own right, but we know this will deliver a real good time at a rock show.
Tickets to Diarrhea Planet with Easy + The Primals at The Echo on 11/16 here.
3) We don’t claim to be musicologists but we do like to learn and educate when we can. The Canadian artist Blank Banshee is a pioneer of vaporwave which is a bit light on the soul and heavy on the pitch shifter. Ambient and dream like Blank Banshee seems to creep and dance in another world. We should have been tipped off when they wanted a two hour visual set as the opening act. Come experience and unlock the mystery of electronic beeps and blips with Blank Banshee.
Added to the bill is our new favorite Collin Cairo.
Tickets to Blank Banshee with Collin Cairo at Echoplex on 11/17 here.
4) The Echoplex has a new sound system and we are THRILLED that Boris is going to show us how to use it. If you want to get the aural transcendent experience of feeling the earth rumble under you or what it may be like to have a massive 15 foot wave crash on top of you come check it out… Bring your own earplugs.
Tickets to Boris with Torche + Endon at Echoplex on 11/18 here.
5) There’s a rumor DJ Michael Stock is an obsessive vinyl collector, especially when he’s digging for discs from classic post punk indie labels. He didn’t just buy a Joy Division record but the entire Factory Records catalogue.
This Sunday he’ll be showcasing another influential UK label – 4AD – which signed everything from the Cocteau Twins to Stereolab to the Pixies to Tune Yards. It’s the kind of forward thinking music taste making that’s worth dedicating a night to.
Come listen to the catalogue and quiz Michael about Pale Saints and Xmal Deutschland.
Tickets to 4AD NITE with DJ Xian Vox at The Echo on 11/19 here.
6) Dead Meadow has been noticeably missing from our calendar so we are so happy they are playing for us! We LOVE these dudes – it’s heavy psychedelia in all its brooding beauty… and the wonderful Stephen McBean as Pink Mountaintops will be there too. Turn the lights down and get the heavy groove on.
Tickets to Dead Meadow with Pink Mountaintops + Dallas Acid at Echoplex on 11/20 here.