1) Lead singer/poet/raconteur Mark E. Smith passed away yesterday. His band, The Fall and his voice are a tidal wave influence on the punk / post punk scenes. The talk/singing/observations of Mr. Smith and his evolving door of musicians have a discography of over 30 records. Primal, percussive, driving and weaving guitar and bass, cantankerous clamor and mischievous humor. You could listen ONLY to The Fall for the rest of your life and not feel cheated. We’re proud to say that in this decade we brought The Fall to Los Angeles in 2002 (Knitting Factory) 2003 (Echo) and a never realized 2005 play that we still paid for. The mighty has fallen but Smith wouldn’t want you to shed a tear. Read a book, drink some beer, study some history instead.
Part Time Punks and The Echo will be putting together a tribute show for The Fall and Mark E Smith on Feb 8. Stay tuned for details.
2) Know that raw rock ‘n’ roll is filled with glorious outsiders whose unabashed desire to do their own thing is what got us here in the first place. Friends of Simon Stokes pay tribute to him, and tonight while he can still make the drive from the desert. Read Johnny Whitesides preview for all the info you need to know. Now you have to ask yourself, are you tough enough to experience this?
Tickets to “A Special Tribute to Simon Stokes” at the Chamapagne Room at Taix Restaurant on Thursday, 1/25 here.
3) We’re big fans of Jessica Lea Mayfield – intelligent pop with a leaning to testimonial country song writing, and indie rock angular guitar. These strong female voices aren’t going away, just getting louder and cooler. She’ll be headlining The Echo tomorrow night.
Tickets to Jessica Lea Mayfield with Sunseeker + SLUGS on 1/26 at The Echo here.
4) Part Time Punks presents BOY HARSHER this Sunday… the male/female dark-wave synth duo
are the perfect soundtrack for a winter Sunday night.
Tickets to Boy Harsher with High-Functioning Flesh + DIN on 1/28 at Echoplex here.
5) We have three different record release shows for bands you’ve seen and heard on our stages before. The hyper kinetic Birth Defects celebrate on JAN 31 with special guests Zig Zags and Cat Scan.
Tickets to Birth Defects at The Echo on 1/31 here.
The next night, Feb 1, Pearl Charles has added some shimmer and sheen to her countrified pop
Tickets to Pearl Charles with Korey Dane + Blue Rose Rounders at The Echo on 2/1 here.
And Flying Hair on Sun Feb 4 with their spacey heavy sludge.
Tickets to Flying Hair with Feral Ohms + CHILD + Rearranged Face at The Echo on 2/4 here.
We’re happy to support our local guitar heroes. You should too.
6) It’s a familiar sound we never tire of: Velvet Underground meets early Stones meets Gram Parsons meets Neil Young & Crazy Horse (thank goodness you all have Spotify so you can give those references a listen). You’ve seen Jesus Sons on the streets and in the clubs. Now, they are where they belong – on our stage doing the February residency. Enhance your music education here.
See Jesus Sons Mondays in February at The Echo. (FREE / 21+)