So we took a road trip, (is it still a road trip when you’re flying Delta?) to Nashville for the Americana Fest. We met some people, heard some bands and had a real good time.
Nicki Bluhm singing Tammy Wynette’s D-I-V-O-R-C-E.
The shit kicking guitar work of Luke McQueary at the iconic Robert’s Western World, where we had to pick our jaws up off the floor after being wowed by this 17 year old picker/player.
A brief introduction to Tyler Coe who hosts our favorite podcast, Rhinestones & Cocaine.
Other performers we will be championing loudly from now on: JP Harris, Charly Crockett, Courtney Marie Andrews, Mike & the Moonpies.
Thank you Nashville. Hope to hear you again real soon.
2) Have you experienced ELECTRIC FEELS yet? On Saturday Sept 29 mastermind Jeremy Burke brings his party back to the Echoplex. White clouds hang above the stage and change colors to the music, DJs spin your favorite songs from early 2000s and you get the “festival vibe” in a small club… it’s always a party and shouldn’t be missed.
Tickets to Electric Feels at Echoplex on Sep 29 here.
3) We’re lucky to get some Desert Daze side shows and the UK based Ulrika Spacek is one we are really looking forward to. On Oct 4 at the Echo, their music will chime and ring with guitar layers soaked in both reverb and repetition. The music has a woozy charm that’s familiar and could easily be your coming down soundtrack. Also on the bill is Mint Fields – the female shoegaze band from Tijuana. What a wonderful trip it’s
Tickets to Ulrika Spacek at The Echo on Oct 4th here.
4) And in the Echoplex on October 4th, we have the Chicago based rapper CupcakKe. Don’t make us say “we told you so” 6 months from now when she’s playing a bigger room and you can’t get tickets. She’s a strong minded rapid-quick rapper who uses her material as a platform of advocacy for LGBT rights and female empowerment. Almost X-rated, CupcakKe likes to show you a good time.
Tickets to CupcakKe at Echoplex on October 4here.
5) Connan Mockasin is probably one of the most creative characters we’ve come across so when he wanted to do a show at a movie theater we obliged. After screenings to the general public of “A Star Is Born”, you can get see Connan perform at the Vista Movie Theater on Oct 10. This will be both a band performance and screening of his short film Bostyn n’ Dobsyn.
Tickets to Connan Mockasin + Premiere of Bostyn ‘n Dobsyn + Jassbusters at Vista Theatre on October 11th here.
6) We know that that “old people’s music” called jazz has resurged and been re-purposed due to hip hop and the success of Kamasi Washington and Thundercat – and that distillation is really pedestrian for a complex transformation. There’s been a jazz scene brewing in the UK and Sons Of Kemet will have their Los Angeles debut at Echo on Oct 11. You’ll hear this improvised music squawk, squeak, spin, roll, tumble, groove and fall with a crack on the snare. Praise for music leader Shabaka Hutchings who has nurtured this London based nu-jazz scene and is bringing it to your ears.
Tickets to Sons of Kemet at The Echo on October 11 here.