1. We’ll admit, we’re still basking in the afterglow of spilt beer, broken guitar strings, and Wanda Jackson yodeling at Roots Roadhouse. It was a damn good time on Sunday with amazing performances (JD Wilkes, Cactus Blossoms, Jesse Dayton, Dylan Earl) and good people all around. Oh yeah, and square dancing too. We’re going to keep that outlaw country spirit and cosmic cowboy soul going all spring and summer as Grand Ole Echo kicks off on Sun April 15 with the pride of Austin Texas, Dale Watson. It’s free before 5 PM and $5 after five (Tickets at door) The silver pompadour and guitar slanging swagger is a fine way to spend the end of your week.
See the photo recap of Roots Roadhouse 2018 here.
2. Have we talked about the “jangly guitar” term before? A popular description circa 80s/90s for any band that had chiming guitars that jangled like loose change in your pocket. Australia’s Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever revise that sound with their talk/ sing vocals and guitars that soar. They’ll be making a stop at the Echo on Tuesday April 17 between their Coachella gigs. If you’re familiar with Mushroom or Flying Nun Records you will love them. And if you’re not, you may want to do some research.
Tickets to Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever w/ Jess Cornelius + Golden Daze on April 17 at The Echo here.
3. Our current Monday resident band Ramonda Hammer must be highly influenced by their parents record collection of grunge and cool arty east coast bands. But they make it all their own. Come check them out as they move into our house for April. FREE / 21+
See Ramonda Hammer every Monday in April. RSVP here!
4. MOCA: MUSIC is back on April 19 with a line up of burgeoning talent.
Berhana who headlines, has a new single that re-works the classic punk/pub rock song “Whole Wide World” from Wreckless Eric. Which is a surprising choice from this R&B crooner, but we’re impressed with his crate digging inspiration. Also on the bill is Rayana Jay, Linofornia and the Modern Funk djs XL Middleton and Hotthobo. This is the nu sound of R&B, soul and psychedelic DJ mixes. FREE / 21+!
RSVP to Berhana w/ Rayana Jay + Linafornia + Modern Funk Fest DJs at MOCA Los Angeles on April 19 here.
5. We have a secret source that tips us off early to the likes of Chicano Batman, Cuco, and The Marias – now here’s another one: COASTCITY. From Puerto Rico, the duo of Jean Rodriguez and Danny Flores are veteran producers, songwriters, musicians in their own right. This collaboration has them defining the music as “Coastal vibes with a city attitude”. The cool Latin tinged soul will definitely get you ready for Cinco De Mayo and the summer!
Tickets to COASTCITY w/ Álvaro Díaz on May 3 at Echoplex here.
6. And now some words from our favorite philosopher and provocateur Brian Eno.
Here come the warm jets…
Til next time…