This will most likely be the last Liz’s 6 for 2017 due to my innate procrastination and not wanting to work at all as the year comes to an end. Thank you to all the bands, DJs, promoters, friends, fans, trail blazers, weirdos, beer drinkers, guest list askers, production crew, office staff, etc that make every show / event happen. Thank you for letting us entertain you…
1) A lot of “best of lists” of 2017 are popping up. I’ll skip the organized format and being limited to only ten to twenty shows. Here ‘s a stream of consciousness highlight list of our best shows of 2017: Jorja Smith, Seratones, Mind Meld, Amigo the Devil, Noname, Svedaliza, Jose James, Aida Victoria, Vagabon, Priests, James Chance & the Contortions, BBNG, Tash Sultana, Starcrawler, Creeper Lagoon, Desert Daze Tour, Goggs, Goon, Little Simz, Omni, Allison Crutchfield, Kate Tempest, Homeshake, Sleaford Mods, Chairlift, Fartbarf, Surf Curse, Melvins, Redd Kross, Diet Cig, Ceremony, Dub Club, Echo Park Rising, Thee Commons, Oddisee, Omar Souleyman, HO99O9, Kikagaku Moyo, Vulfpeck, Pow!, Superet, Bilinda Butchers,The Orwells, Sound&Fury, The Marias, Austen McCutchen, Moon Honey, Wire, Pinegrove, Tyler Childers, Current Joys, Tiajuana Panthers, Chelsea Wolfe, Japanese Breakfast, Shannon Lay, Bob Log III, Vista Kicks, Nosaj Thing, Weirdos, Curtis Harding, DakhaBrahka, Malcolm Mooney, Numb.er, Egrets on Ergot, Desert Daze…. And a whole lot more. You can do some googling over the holiday to check these bands out before that ban on net neutrality kicks in.
Photos from these shows can be found here.
2) We know you still have some holiday shopping to do and we’re here to help. This Saturday, come to the Metal Market and buy as many black t-shirts as you can find! Featured vendors include Acid Queens Jewelary, Dungeon Ruins, Black Mess Records, Lock and Shock, No Class Hell Raisers And A LOT more. Plus DJs: Bobb Bruno (Best Coast), Dan Dismal, Kelsey (Blade Killer) , Born for Burning.
The Metal Market happens Saturday, December 16th at Echoplex. Grab tickets here.
3) El Vez is a proud representative of Los Angeles high & lo culture; he’s lived here and performed here off and on since 1978. And has always done it with style. Even before there was Silver Lake, there was the Mexican Elvis. The holiday cheer really starts with the El Vez Mex-mas show – shake away any bah humbug thoughts and come join the party.
Tickets for the El-Vez Mex-mas show , happening December 22nd, can be found here.
4) Some of us are blessed to have grown up when Soul Train aired on ABC Saturday afternoons and you got to hear Don Cornelius say S-0-U-L T-R-A-I-N at the top of each show. If you think you dress cool now and are an innovator trend setter, you probably haven’t ever seen a Soul Train dance line.
Come dance your ass off as our friends from MOTOWN MONDAYS throw a tribute night to Soul Train, with special guests PEANUT BUTTER WOLF, EXPO, MONALISA, and DJ JEDI. Tickets here.
5) You know we pride ourselves in being know it alls and branding ourselves as “ahead of the curve”! Come prove us right or wrong as we celebrate FOMO WEEK January 2 thru 6, 2018. FREE shows of all the bands that we think you should be paying attention to and supporting in the new year to come. Not to be missed: Gun Outfit, Thumpasauraus, Flat Worms, Cat Scan, Pastel Felt and really, EVERYONE that is playing… this will help get you back in the going out groove.
More information on FOMO week 2018 can be found here.
6) They’re talking to you millennials!
Enjoy the holiday, and have a great new year!