It’s the Year of the Dog ….
1) After weeks of binge holiday shopping and binge watching Holiday Bake Off Championship here we are again … ready to conquer the world and do good work. Be sure to warm up your ears for what’s in store for the new year and catch the last few nights of FOMO with Child, Thumpasauraus, Pastel Felt and Hit Bargain to name a few… here we go 2018!
RSVP here for Child with Color, Monarch, Grand Lord High Master, and Grave Flowers & His Bongo Band – 1/4 at the Echo
RSVP here for Thumpasaurus with Drinking Flowers, Rumblepak, Litronix, and Collin Cairo – 1/5 at the Echo
2) All right Millenials and IGen’ers, YOU WIN. Hip-Hop/R&B have toppled the reigning kings & queens of rock… Guitars and crash cymbals as we’ve known it are taking a back seat to the rhythm, beat and groove. But, let’s not put Dave Grohl out to pasture just yet; “the demise of rock n roll” was shouted when disco hit the dance floor .. and that ignited some of the best years of punk rock. And, all is not lost, there will be a new Ty Segall record out this year.
3) We have two FREE residencies this month. Lauren Ruth Ward will bring her haunting earthy voice to the stage every Monday. She is an artist to watch in 2018. This is only the beginning. And on Wednesdays, the fun continues with the fast and furious band that keeps the party going before they even start. If you want to know where all the cool kids will be, it’s going to be at Cheap Tissue. These are top dollar & talent shows all for FREE!
4) There isn’t any thing we like more than telling you, HEY YOU NEED TO CHECK THIS OUT ! The Norwegian punk rock band SLØTFACE could easily be kids in Whittier listening to Green Day and Blondie. Come welcome them to Los Angeles on Jan. 11.
Plus two support acts that we love equally – Ever So Android and The Pink Slips.
5) Before Grindr, there was Dragstrip 66 – a monthly drag dance party that was part John Waters meets Cher and a whole mess of feather boas, leather chaps, sparkling glitter, and smeared lipstick. On Saturday, Jan. 13, there will be an Intergalactic Genderf#ck Dance Party to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Dragstrip 66. Plus a sneak screening of “Dragstrip 66: The Frockumentary“ plus Jackie Beat, Sherry Vine and Alaska Thunderf#ck.
6) This is the one we’ve been waiting for – The Flesh Eaters. They’re going to spit it out like rockabilly punk rock hellfire. This collective of seasoned musicians and poets – Chris D, John Doe, Dave Alvin, Steve Berlin, DJ Bonebrake – paved the way of the of the Los Angeles underground highway. These are the real deal cool dudes.
Plus special guests Alley Cats and Sean Wheeler.
Here’s to a happy healthy creative productive 2018 … get ready for the ride; we’ll be right there with you…