1. When the guys in SWIMM asked if we wanted to host their LOVE YOU DOWN party we were happy to be invited! SWIMM has a history of taking the hyper creative approach to their shows, and they always like to bring in the community. So here you have it on Friday February 2- LOVE YOU DOWN with a cast of characters from the local scene: Swimm, Mating Ritual, Emerson Star, Royaljag, Talk in Tongues, Jenny Lee (DJ set) and a whole lot more! Bands will perform inside The Echo and outside on the patio. There will be art installations, cool visuals, and other weird stuff that will set you right for the weekend.
Tickets to Love You Down II ft. Swimm + Thumpasaurus + B. Bravo+ more on 2/2 at The Echo here.
2. We have to admit we’re a little thrilled with The Echo’s transformation. New sound system, new lights, an opened ceiling, an open stage, and a lit marque above the bar so you can see from across the room what beer you want to order. Come see for yourself next Thursday Feb 8 as The Get Money Squad makes their LA debut. Plus John Bap. Plus Eskimo Kisses. Plus DJ Anthony Valdez.
Tickets to The Get Money Squad Champagne Party with Jon Bap + Quinton Brock & more on 2/8 at The Echo here.
3. The Rock Lottery premise is simple, but effective. Twenty-five hand picked musicians meet at 10:00AM at the evenings performance venue. These volunteers are organized into five groups through a lottery-based chance selection. The five separate groups are then released to practice at different locations. The musicians have twelve hours to create a band name and three to five songs (with a one cover-song limit). The groups will then perform what they have created that evening in front of a waiting audience. We’ve gatherer some hard working, highly creative fearless music types to perform for you; we got Mike Watt, Mikal Cronin, Evan Weiss, and Andrew Martin to name a few. More info here…
Tickets to Rock Lottery at The Echo on February 10 here.
4. ArtDontSleep repeatedly curates the type of events that leave you in awe and inspiried. It’s a two room event with our favorite nu jazz outta this world soul singer Georgia Anne Muldrow in The Echo. In the Echoplex, you are getting history mixed in with your music with a rare performance from Ayalew Mesfin, a 70s Ethiopian funk musician whose music was oppressed by the country’s dictatorship. This is a rare opportunity to experience the international interpretation of the wah-wah pedal played with a purpose.
Tickets to ArtDontSleep’s two night event on 2/13 at The Echo + Echoplex here.
5. Sometimes we assume everyone knows about the mighty mighty Dub Club – holding strong every Weds for the past 15 years with DJs Tom Chasteen and Boss Harmony – spinning the best in classic reggae, dancehall and dub.
But here’s a little reminder to check it out next week as Dub Club also takes over The Echo with our favorite unsung local record label ANGEL CITY RECORDS who curates a local soul and ska scene.
Dub Club meets Angel City Records 2 Room party: Tickets at door. Free before 10 pm, $7 after.
6) We’ve been looking forward to this one and are proud to have the LA debut of UK political post punks SHAME whose live show has been known to be in your face and intense.
And doing what we can to spread the local band gospel, we’ve strategically placed Egrets On Ergot and Goon on the bill.
Tickets to Shame with Egrets on Ergot + Goon on 2/16 at The Echo here.
Still trying to get in the groove of 2018 … ’til next time