Don’t be fooled, the cool kids at The Echo dressed in black have a penchant for country music. Not the flash and glitz of country pop but the real deal stuff that has swagger and twang. And the podcast COCAINE & RHINESTONES from Taylor Mahan Coe is the subject of many conversations. This is quality storytelling and historical reporting about early country artists and their wild ways. Highly recommended even if you don’t own any George Jones records (and you should).
1) This is also a good time to remind you to get your Roots Roadhouse tickets for our show on April 8. The rockabilly queen Wanda Jackson will headline with a line up that includes Jesse Dayton, Scott H. Birham, Whisky Shivers, The Cactus Blossoms and Jaime Wyatt. Plus the Old Time Is A Good Time Stage that includes some string playing and square dancing. We’ll have vendors for vintage vinyl and clothes and Shady Grove will be setting up their smoker. We like to call it, or maybe it’s just me that does, a great day of music with an outlaw country spirit and cosmic cowboy soul.
Tickets to Roots Roadhouse 2018 at The Echo & Echoplex on Sunday, April 8 here.
2) Dear Broncho, we’re so happy you decided to come back to The Echo on Friday, March 23. It wasn’t for the lack of us trying but we know you’ve been busy being on the road and all. We’re happy your glammy groovy indie rock with all it’s weird quirks and turns can play beyond our little strip of Sunset Blvd. Those vocals you’ve perfected have some kind of weird familia Buddy Holly hiccup thing going on – has anyone told you that? We look forward to seeing you and hearing new songs from your record that’s out in June. We’ll have the green room waiting for you.
Love, The Echo
Tickets to Broncho w/Mozes and The Firstborn + Valen at The Echo on Friday, March 23 here.
3) Who postpones their flight to London by a few days to stick around to see ESG for one last time? Someone who loves dancing to the influential post punk no wave Bronx band whose minimal funk and soul has been sampled and enjoyed for the past 40 years. ESG ESG ESG! Just go to the show Friday night at Echoplex and have some fun.
Tickets to ESG w/French Vanilla at Echoplex on Friday, March 23 here.
4) The blogs and press raved about Kelly Lee Owens in 2017 and we’re thrilled to host her LA debut at Pico Union Project. Her music is experimental and ethereal; part shoegaze, part electronica, part organic rhythms. Pitchfork gave her an 8.0 and the review is pretty spot on.
Tickets to Kelly Lee Owens w/ Carmen Villain at Pico Union Project on Saturday, March 31 here.
5) This is the show that took months to make happen. We went where most clubs wouldn’t bother to go. Contracts got signed. Agreements were made. Cases of Faygo were ordered. The rude rock rap of Insane Clown Posse will be at the Regent Theater. ICP has created some crazy alternative universe that’s politically incorrect and in your face. If you’re already scared of clowns this show won’t change your mind.
6) Next Tuesday (3/27), the heavy instrumental swirl dirge of Russian Circles will knock your head off. King Women is the support who holds her own in the world of heavy and doom. What a great way to start the week!
Tickets to Russian Circles w/King Woman at Echoplex on Tuesday, March 27 here.
And we know The Six sometimes seems dismissive to the younger generation but we want to say how in awe we are of their mobility to mobilize and take action. These are the future leaders and we probably should start listening to them now. On Saturday March 24, the March For Our Lives takes place in Pershing Square here’s some info to know.
RSVP to the Facebook event here!