So how did it get to be September ? Wasn’t it just Echo Park Rising last week? Oh yeah, a belated thanks for that – for coming out and supporting your local scene, small businesses, etc. Echo Park shifts some but we gotta keep supporting the creative indie spirit. And now it’s on to the fall…
1) Local boys still make good and we are never tired of hearing them – Hooveriii have a new self titled release out on 9/14 and to celebrate that achievement, they’re having a show that night too! Their heavy krautrock hazy blaze of psychedelia puts you in a swirl. Only to be spun further out by our other faves Frankie and the Witch Fingers… do we really need to give these guys a special mention again? Of course we do. Because we still dig everything about them both. And you should too.
Tickets to Hooveriii & Frankie and the Witch Fingers at The Echo on Sep. 14 here.
2) Next Thursday Sept 20 is our last MOCA: MUSIC and we have invited LATE NIGHT LAGGERS to curate the end of the series party in the museum’s courtyard in Little Tokyo. We are thrilled to be working with a team that is smart, creative and super thorough – they make us look good and deliver you a great time! These are early evening free events and your attendance ensures that we’ll be back next season. So come check out the soulful *trap* Latin *hip hop* Jamaican sounds of this line up featuring Jesse Baez, The.Wav, Nick & Navi plus Dave Nada and Tittsworth. It’s going to feel like summer is just getting started…
RSVP to MOCA: Music ft. Jesse Baez & more on Sep. 20 here. (Free!)
3) TrapsPS don’t move in a straight line; it’s more like a zig zag or series of dots dashes. They re-work and re-construct a song and deliver it in a compact choppy crunchy bite. If you still listen to your uncle’s SST record collection or you start to twitch when you hear 80s post punk or you study the well deserved mythology of the Minutemen, you’re going to want to be at The Echo on Mondays as TrapsPS is our resident band playing stuff from their debut on Innovative Leisure, “New Chants”.
This is something really good.
Catch TrapsPS FREE at The Echo on Mondays this September. Check out their residency feature & mix takeover here.
4) Ok, so now we’re just showing off talking about YUNGBLUD whose show at the end of the month is already almost sold out. But we love the over the top British punk pop of Dominic Harrison and think he’s going to be around for awhile so just making note that Yungblud’s debut is at The Echo. As some music press described him – “the spitfire suburban poetry of younger Arctic Monkeys and Jamie T, fused with a healthy touch of ska and hip-hop spirit”. We’re just happy he got his visa.
Tickets to YUNGBLUD at The Echo on Sep. 25 here.
5) Claire McKeown from Honey Child has put together a tribute to Leonard Cohen – a master of words, storytelling and song. An artist. Any description I can muster here just falls short and is a disservice. We honor the man on Sat Sept 22, the day after what would have been his 84th birthday.
Tickets to “Celebrating the Words and Music of Leonard Cohen” w/ Entrance, Shannon Lay + more at The Echo on Sep. 22 here.
6) Connan Mockasin in all his wonderful weirdness will be doing a very special performance at the Vista movie theater on Oct 11. There will be popcorn and Junior Mints and a Connan performance after a screening of “A Star Is Born”. Plus Connan debuts his short films “Bostyn n’ Dobsyn”
Tickets to Connan Mockasin + premiere of Bostyn ‘n Dobsyn + Jassbusters at Vista Theatre on Oct. 11 here.
All for now.. waiting for the heat to end and the changing of the leaves.